27 December, 2016

{Review} Frozen Tides by Morgan Rhodes

Frozen Tides by Morgan Rhodes
Fallen Kingdoms series, book 4
Published December 15, 2015 by Razorbill
Rebels, royals, and monsters wage war over the Mytican throne in the shocking fourth book of the Falling Kingdoms series, from New York Times bestselling author Morgan Rhodes.

CLEO: Reeling after a bloody showdown in Limeros ending with Amara’s abduction of the water crystal, and a vacancy in the Mytican throne, Princess Cleo must cast aside her feelings and look toward her kingdom with the eyes of a Queen.

MAGNUS: With the kingdom in chaos, Princess Lucia still missing and quite possibly in danger, and a shocking realization about Cleo, the steely prince is once again torn between love and duty, leaving him wondering whether he’s strong enough to rule his people.

LUCIA: The young sorcercess has had her vengeance after the cruel death of her first and only love. Heartbroken and unable to trust anyone, she allies with the awoken Fire god, who also seeks revenge.

JONAS: After escaping death by the skin of his teeth, the defeated rebel—along with a mysterious stranger–leader reunites with Princess Cleo, only to find himself a mere pawn in a dangerous hunt for the elusive Kindred.

KING GAIUS: Abandoned by Melenia and betrayed by his own children, Gaius flees Mytica and sails to Kraeshia, where he attempts to ally with the famously brutal emperor across the Silver Sea.

-----

My Review

♫ ♫

* * W A R N I N G * *
this review may contain spoilers for books 1-3!


Ugh. Ugh, ugh, ugh. Is it me or are these books slowly getting more annoying? I don't know, I just find myself rolling my eyes than actually feeling invested with the story. It's the same thing, over and over! It's so irritating!

Following the events of Gathering Darkness--which, I admit, I do not remember--Magnus and Cleo are back at the Limeros palace. Magnus takes back rule of his country, which is a task harder than it may seem because this one irrelevant guy, Kurtis (I hated him) and because of his sudden feelings for Cleo.

Cleo, on the other hand, is at a loss. She doesn't know how to get word to Jonas and his pathetic "rebellion" and she has to take care of her Kindred. Not only that, she also has ~feelings~ and that's annoying.

And then there is Jonas and Lucia. The former is being absolutely useless while the latter is being absolutely irritating, all while making things unpleasant for everyone.

And then there is King Gaius, who is also making things unpleasant for everyone, only he has the decency to do that overseas.

Ughhhhhhhh. That's the only word--sound? noise?--I have for this fourth volume in the Falling Kingdoms series. There is so much irrelevant drama and I care about none of it. Basically every point of view is useless and/or annoying, save for Magnus and Cleo's. Even then, that's too high a praise because they weren't enough to save this book. When you continue a series just because of one pair, and they seem to be disappointing you, then you know there's a problem.

But speaking of ships, even Magnus and Cleo are annoying me. (Why is everything with book annoying?) I'm so tired of their back and forth, their hot and cold attitudes. They have these slightly sweet moments and then it's absolutely ruined. And the progress of their feelings are questionable too, but I don't want to get into that because I'm afraid overthinking it will make me lose the one last thing that's keeping me going for this series.

Frankly, I don't remember much about the plot. I'm sure there was one, but nothing stood out. Absolutely nothing was interesting.

There was Jonas, being useless with his failed rebellion--again. He kept making the dumbest decisions--including one with Magnus. (For real, Jonas?? You had the perfect chance and you fucking RUINED IT AGAIN.)

There was Lucia, with her fire Kindred. I expected some big, bad, fire elemental, all scary and fearsome, and we were gifted with an overgrown immortal toddler. All he did was throw tantrums and scream "VENGEANCE! REVENGE!" or something stupid along those lines. Me? I wasn't impressed. At all.

The new points of views--because there is never enough with this forsaken series--did not capture my interest. Felix was whatever; I didn't expect too much from him, except maybe comedic relief but he didn't provide that, unfortunately. (I think he was just dumb.) Then there was Amara and I could have appreciated her, maybe, but I just could not like her. Also, I'm pretty sure she's beyond redeeming. She'll probably make a good villain, unless Rhodes fucks that up as well. But she won't be getting on my good graces.

The writing. God, it felt so childish. The dialogue was melodramatic and made me cringe most of the time; the other times, I just rolled my eyes, time and time again. There was no urgency with the action scenes and more than once, I felt the sudden need to stop reading for good.

Overall, 2 stars. I'm going to wait to read the 5th novel because I honestly just can't manage the patience for these characters any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment