26 December, 2016

{Review} Infinity by Jus Accardo

Infinity by Jus Accardo
The Infinity Division, book 1
Published November 1, 2016 by Entangled: Teen
Nobody said being the daughter of an army general was easy. But when her dad sends a teenage subordinate to babysit her while he’s away… That’s taking it a step too far.

Cade, as beautiful as he is deadly, watches Kori with more than just interest. He looks at her like he knows her very soul. And when he saves her from a seemingly random attack, well, that’s when things get weird.

Turns out, Kori’s dad isn’t just an army general—he’s the head of a secret government project that has invented a way to travel between parallel dimensions. Dimensions where there are infinite Koris, infinite Cades…and apparently, on every other Earth, they’re madly in love.

Falling for a soldier is the last thing on Kori’s mind. Especially when she finds herself in a deadly crossfire, and someone from another Earth is hell-bent on revenge…

-----

My Review

♫ ♫ ♫ 

Infinity was a spontaneous read for me, which isn't unheard of for me. But, what is unheard of is that I stayed up until 6 AM trying to finish this. And finish it I did! Surprisingly, I found this enjoyable!

Since Kori's mother died, she's taken a new way to express her grief: drawing murals on the shoddier parts of military town she's resided in. But when an incident gets her caught, Kori is stuck at home with two soldiers: Cade and Noah.

When Kori sneaks off to take a picture, she's attacked. While her soldier-sitters come to her rescue, it opens up a whole new world of strange. Because Cade and Noah aren't from Kori's Earth, but a different one. One where their Kori is dead. And, apparently, on every other Earth, she and Cade are always in love. If that isn't strange enough, well. That's exactly the reason she's in danger.

This book was similar to Claudia Gray's Firebird series. But where that book focused more on the romance than anything else, this was based on revenge. It's pretty much a crazy ride from beginning to finish. Kori, Cade, and Noah are on a race to protect innocent people from a deranged guy from their Earth who is hell bent on revenge.

While I found some of the methods they used slightly sketchy, the author was ready good at creating a sense of urgency in her scenes. I kept wanting to put the book down so I could sleep, but I just had to continue and find out what happens next for the trio, or what was in store for them.

I also really liked Kori! She was a funny and determined girl, full of sass. She didn't let a hot guy keep her from wanting to know what she had to know, or from stranding her ground. Often times, she was quite sensible. She wasn't a damsel or a love struck girl. I admired her spunk and honesty! She was quite brutal when it comes to honesty; I loved it.

I thought the romance was a bit... strange. I don't want to give too much away, but I found it extremely weird that Cade would keep doing what Kori would sometimes initiate despite her being a doppelg√§nger of the girl he was in love with. Supposedly, on every Earth they both exist in are in love, but not every Kori is the same as his Kori. What's more is that he never seemed to be over his Kori, either. 

Not to mention, I thought Kori was a bit hypocritical sometimes. But then again, it was the same hot-and-cold attitude that's in so many romances lately; they'll have the urge to make-out but then push each other away. It was really annoying.

I wish Noah had more page time. While his character annoyed me just like he did Kori, I really wanted to see more depth and development to him. There was too much convenient time focused solely on Cade and Kori--which, if you ask me, is pretty dumb on Noah's part because please. It's obvious things would happen.

The whole concept of different, alternate dimensions is one that has intrigued me since it was mentioned in The Flash. During the story, they didn't jump from different Earths, it was explained. But it felt kind of half-assed to me. I wanted more to be explained, but I hope it happens in book 2. I don't want to be cheated of the whole aspect of how they appear on different Earths. 

Overall, 3.5 stars. I liked this story and while it had some flaws, I'm looking forward to the sequel!

No comments:

Post a Comment