29 December, 2016

{Review} A Study in Charlotte by Brittany Cavallaro

A Study in Charlotte by Brittany Cavallaro
Charlotte Holmes, book 1
Published March 1, 2016 by Katherine Tegen Books
The last thing Jamie Watson wants is a rugby scholarship to Sherringford, a Connecticut prep school just an hour away from his estranged father. But that’s not the only complication: Sherringford is also home to Charlotte Holmes, the famous detective’s great-great-great-granddaughter, who has inherited not only Sherlock’s genius but also his volatile temperament. From everything Jamie has heard about Charlotte, it seems safer to admire her from afar.

From the moment they meet, there’s a tense energy between them, and they seem more destined to be rivals than anything else. But when a Sherringford student dies under suspicious circumstances, ripped straight from the most terrifying of the Sherlock Holmes stories, Jamie can no longer afford to keep his distance. Jamie and Charlotte are being framed for murder, and only Charlotte can clear their names. But danger is mounting and nowhere is safe—and the only people they can trust are each other.

-----

My Review

♫ ♫ ♫ 

I'm so glad I spontaneously picked this book up! It was a nice mystery and featured a great cast of characters that I can't wait to see more of.

James Watsom is sent to Sherringford on a rugby scholarship. There, he meets Charlotte Holmes--a girl he's admired for most of his life. Both of them are the descendents ofof the famous detective duo. Despite their ancestor's history, though, the two seem content to hate each other. But when one of the boys they've both have had bad history with ends up dead, their innocence is at question by their peers and the police. To make matters worse, the murder is eerily similar to one of the Sherlock and Watson stories, and to clear their names, the two have to work together before someone else ends up dead.

A Study in Charlotte has its moments. I found James--I downright refuse to call him Jamie--to be a good narrator some of the time, and Charlotte to be a brilliant, if sometimes rude and funny, Holmes. I loved the camaraderie between the two!

I found the whole aspect of being a descendent super cool! Most of the other Sherlock & Watson retellings I read only featured characters who shared the name and the mannerisms of the famous duo rather than being related. With Charlotte's family, it was important for her to uphold her Sherlock-like aspects and while that sounds unfortunate for her, I liked that Cavallaro made her characters unique like this. Both James and Charlotte shared characteristics with their ancestors as well as differences and the more I read, the more intriguing it got to find those out.

I found the mystery to be unique. It was fast-paced and I couldn't find out that quickly who the culprit was so I consider it a success and a fascinating one at that. Never a dull moment. I especially liked who the guilty person was because I suspect it'll connect some crucial pieces together. At least, I hope it does in the second book. There were some connections in this one, but I'm hoping there's a bigger part later.

While there is a small crush, in regards to the romance department, there really wasn't much to talk about. But it's clear that James and Charlotte harbour feelings for each other--I mean, obvious from James' point of view, but I suspected Charlotte had some too. I understand why Cavallaro didn't rush anything--I mean, it is a first novel, plus angst and all that. But beyond those reasons, there was something else in Charlotte's history and it broke my heart. Repeatedly. I know Charlotte is strong and I know she won't show her pain, which I wholeheartedly believe she's hiding, but I also know she's going to overcome and I know James is going to help in whatever way he can.


What I can say about that history... I'm glad the person who died was the one that died. That person fucking deserved it and is a scum.

One thing I did not like was how much backstory James put into before getting to a point. At times, I was like, Okay, I get it. I don't care, though, so move on and that happened several times.

I also hated James' father. I can't say why because spoilers, but god. I hated, hated him. I thought James' feelings for his father was justified and glad it lasted as long as it did.

Also. Some of the chapters were long! A few were over 40 minutes on my kindle! This isn't a complaint but wow. I mean, there were some breaks, but still. Some were short but then those long ones came in and I was like bruh.

Like I said, there were some funny parts, all due to Charlotte. Her phone calls? Especially priceless. "Did you call me a cow, you whale?", "How am I awful? Give me an itemized list." I loved it.

Overall, this was a super fun mystery and I'm glad I read it! I really enjoyed this retelling and the characters and I cannot wait for The Last of August this upcoming February!

No comments:

Post a Comment