21 February, 2017

{ARC Review} Geekerella by Ashley Poston


Geekerella by Ashley Poston
Published April 4, 2017 by Quirk Books
Standalone Novel
e-ARC provided by Edelweiss
Geek girl Elle Wittimer lives and breathes Starfield, the classic sci-fi series she grew up watching with her late father. So when she sees a cosplay contest for a new Starfield movie, she has to enter. The prize? An invitation to the ExcelsiCon Cosplay Ball, and a meet-and-greet with the actor slated to play Federation Prince Carmindor in the reboot. With savings from her gig at the Magic Pumpkin food truck (and her dad’s old costume), Elle’s determined to win…unless her stepsisters get there first.

Teen actor Darien Freeman used to live for cons—before he was famous. Now they’re nothing but autographs and awkward meet-and-greets. Playing Carmindor is all he’s ever wanted, but Starfield fandom has written him off as just another dumb heartthrob. As ExcelsiCon draws near, Darien feels more and more like a fake—until he meets a girl who shows him otherwise. But when she disappears at midnight, will he ever be able to find her again?

Part romance, part love letter to nerd culture, and all totally adorbs, Geekerella is a fairy tale for anyone who believes in the magic of fandom.

-----

My Review

♫ ♫ ♫ ♫

This book was a giiiiiift. I didn't expect to like this as much as I did but it was so full of life--vibrant and real characters. It was full of witty dialogue and nerdy references and finding out that you are not no one. As a person who's in a lot of fandoms--both books wise, TV wise, and movies wise--this book was a perfect little read. AND it was a Cinderella retelling!

Danielle "Elle" Wittimer works at a vegan food truck in Charleston. When her dad passed away, so did her fan-fic writing days. Now, she blogs about her favourite thing ever, Starfield (which, by the way, is not a real thing as I first assumed). There's been news of a remake and when the lead actor to play Carmindor is announced, she's not impressed.

Darien Freeman is an up-and-coming teen actor. He's known for his role in Seaside Cove but this is the role that'll make him a household name. Having been a huge fan of Starfield all his life, Darien is afraid he won't live up to the role that he and so many other people have admired for years. With his father constantly breathing down his neck and a blogger criticising him playing as Carmindor, he's not really having it easy.

Getting into contemporary books is normally very hard for me. Most of the time, I can't relate to any of the characters or the situations because they're so blown out of proportions, it leaves me questioning just what the hell is going on. In Geekerella, it didn't feel like that. The characters, while not down to earth, or whatever, felt like someone you could actually meet in real life. They were funny and they all had issues some of us have gone through at some point or another. Am I a no one? Can anyone really like me for who I am? Is it childish for me to like this?

I always have this sort of soft-spot for characters who go through that. It makes me so angry to see other people go so far as to criticise everything they do--especially when the person is trying their hardest to live up to everyone's expectations. I like how the author portrayed both Darien and Elle's strength in the novel, how she made both of them grow over time.

I found the secondary characters so be wonderful and fleshed out. Sage was probably my favourite because she's hilarious. She's there for Elle when Elle needs someone and she doesn't take any bullshit from other people. She also supports Elle with practically everything. She's the friend we all need.

I also adored the romance! It's a new age so texting strangers isn't all that weird I guess. I love how they get to know each other though. The texting wasn't awkward (like, no 2nite or whatever 2008 trend happens in some books). I wasn't too sold on it--a lot of the times, I didn't really see the charm in what they sent each other, but c'est la vie. If it made them happy, then I'll let their blessed little nerdy hearts rejoice.

When they actually met, though. They were so cute! Ellle x Darien forever.

I hated Chloe. And Catherine. One half of the wicked step-sisters and the stepmother. Chloe was just a grade A bitch. There is literally no other way to describe her. She was horrible. Catherine, I was hoping she wouldn't be as bad, but UGH. She was absolutely terrible. I hate them. Thank god for Cal, though, because she wasn't like them.

Anyway! This was a charming Cinderella retelling and I'm glad I read it. 4 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment