17 February, 2017

{Review} Wayfarer by Alexandra Bracken

Wayfarer by Alexandra Bracken
Passenger, book 2
Published January 3, 2017 by Disney-Hyperion
All Etta Spencer wanted was to make her violin debut when she was thrust into a treacherous world where the struggle for power could alter history. After losing the one thing that would have allowed her to protect the Timeline, and the one person worth fighting for, Etta awakens alone in an unknown place and time, exposed to the threat of the two groups who would rather see her dead than succeed. When help arrives, it comes from the last person Etta ever expected—Julian Ironwood, the Grand Master’s heir who has long been presumed dead, and whose dangerous alliance with a man from Etta’s past could put them both at risk.

Meanwhile, Nicholas and Sophia are racing through time in order to locate Etta and the missing astrolabe with Ironwood travelers hot on their trail. They cross paths with a mercenary-for-hire, a cheeky girl named Li Min who quickly develops a flirtation with Sophia. But as the three of them attempt to evade their pursuers, Nicholas soon realizes that one of his companions may have ulterior motives.

As Etta and Nicholas fight to make their way back to one another, from Imperial Russia to the Vatican catacombs, time is rapidly shifting and changing into something unrecognizable… and might just run out on both of them.

-----

My Review

♫ ♫ ♫  

Since I've read Bracken's first series--or, rather, the first two books--The Darkest Minds, it was clear that she had the whole writing thing figured out. At least, I thought so. Bracken was talented, and it showed, by how she fleshed out her characters, the complexity of her story lines, and how she had the ability to make you feel with her words.

With the Passenger duology, she truly shines in those aspects and more. I absolutely adored Passenger and Wayfarer not only lived up to its predecessor, but it went beyond my expectations.

To say "I loved it" would feel like an understatement. At moments, it genuinely took my breath away, and it was totally because of the relationships in this book.

It goes beyond just Nicholas and Etta in this book; more than just Etta and her mother, Rose. In Wayfarer, there were a few new additions to the cast, and one character actually got a lot more screen time. One of them was Henry, Etta's father.

I loved them. So, so, so much. Those two were probably one of the best father-daughter relationships I've ever read about, if not the only touching one. And that was a remarkable feat on its own because not only was Henry introduced in this book, he was only present for a short amount of time. Yet, Bracken managed to depict a wonderful and loving bond between Etta and Henry. My heart absolutely ached for Etta because this was what she'd yearned for her entire life and was unable to experience it. Bracken did a beautiful job with these two.

Then there was Nicholas and Sophia, two people who hated each other with a passion. Their journey--wow. It's not that they became friends, no. It's that they managed to save each other, fight for each other, have one another's back, time and time again. They grew to have a mutual respect for one another and the complexity of their companionship was extremely well developed. 

There were also two other duos that I really liked--Etta & Julian, and Sophia & Li Min. Both Julian and Li Min were new characters and they were so much fun to read about! Etta wasn't having any of his nonsense, while it was interesting how Bracken weaved Sophia and Li Min's arc! I don't want to say too much else away because it's something you should experience!

So! I'm finally moving on. About Sophia. Can I just say how much I fell in love with her in this book? She was in Passenger but not as a truly major character or a likeable one either. But in Wayfarer, she truly shines. We not only get her backstory but we see her grow into a more fierce young woman, who, at times, shows her vulnerability. Sophia was already someone to behold and that doesn't change here at all. She quickly grew to become one of my favourite characters!

Okay, now for my OTP. Nicholas and Etta, the feelings they give me! My poor darlings go through so much in this book, spending so much of it separated--over 60% of the book!--yet everything they do is to get back to each other. Their loyalty and love for one another was so sweet, so beautiful, and it's so well written!

The ending to the series is a strange one, but rather appropriate I think. I honestly had no idea what to expect, but I thought it was a fantastic finale and it definitely pleased me.

As always, the places and times mentioned here were wonderfully well done. It definitely shows that Alexandra Bracken did her research--each setting it lush and beautiful!

So all of that gushing being gushed, I thought this was beyond excellent. Bracken's writing is practically flawless, in my opinion, and I will always recommend this series! One of the easiest 5 stars I'll ever give, definitely.

2 comments:

  1. Great review! I haven't read this yet (and for some reason was under the impression this was a trilogy), but I have both of these beautiful books sitting on my shelves. They sound so fun and beautifully written. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO much, Kelly! They are EXTREMELY fun and so beautiful and you just HAVE to read them!

      Delete