14 March, 2017

{ARC Review} These Ruthless Deeds by Tarun Shanker & Kelly Zekas

These Ruthless Deeds by Tarun Shanker & Kelly Zekas
These Vicious Masks, book 2
Published March 14, 2017 by Swoon Reads
e-ARC provided by Netgalley
England, 1883. Still recovering from a devastating loss, Evelyn is determined to use her powers to save other gifted people from those who would harm them. But when her rescue of a young telekinetic girl goes terribly wrong, Evelyn finds herself indebted to a secret society devoted to recruiting and protecting people like Evelyn and her friends.

As she follows the Society’s orders, healing the sick and embarking on perilous recruitment missions, Evelyn sees her problems disappear. Her reputation is repaired, her friends are provided for, and her parents are newly wealthy. She reunites with the dashing Mr. Kent and recovers the reclusive Mr. Braddock (who has much less to brood over now that the Society can help him to control his dangerous power). But Evelyn can’t help fearing the Society is more sinister than it appears...

-----

My Review

♫ ♫ 

I actually... I actually didn't like this book, and oh, how I wanted to. I really liked the first one--it was close to being one of my favourite reads, or, in the least, an honourable mention, for last year--and I was over the moon when I'd gotten accepted for this. How could I not? Secret societies! More mystery! More danger! More funny antics and banter! 

But it just... It fell so flat.

One of the more annoying things was how one of the characters was brought back, only to be sidelined the entire time. I honestly didn't understand that? The society went through the trouble of locating Sebastian and bringing him back, even though he didn't want to go back. And then for the rest of the novel, he's hardly there! He has no big part to play until the very end, which I just found to be annoying. Why make such a big deal about bringing him back and not have him be more important?

Another thing that bothered me was the romance. I would've been fine with no romance than what was actually presented. There's sort of a love triangle going on, a continuation from book 1, and while yes, it does get resolved, it only takes the entire book! It only takes Evelyn to string along one party while pushing the other party away (and someone towards him). It was messy and I didn't really like it.

Hmm... there was also that ending, which was extremely unexpected. I won't lie, I didn't expect it at all and I don't even know whether I liked it or not. I didn't think that the authors would go all out like that! 

One other thing to mention: there is a twist and I wish I hadn't expected it because it would've made the book more enjoyable for me. Alas, it was extremely expected, since like the beginning of the novel and by the time it was addressed, I just rolled my eyes.

Overall, this was a pretty disappointing sequel! My OTP hardly had any swoony scenes, there wasn't as much action as I'd hoped, and it just didn't reach my expectations. I am still looking forward to future books because I no longer know what to think with this series.

Final rating: 2.5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment