25 April, 2017

Top Ten Tuesday {29} Things That'll Make Me NOT Wanna Read A Book

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by
the wonderful people at The Broke and the Bookish.


∙∙∙∙∙·♫·*·♪..♪·*·♫·∙∙∙∙∙

This week's TTT topic is...

Top ten things that will make me not wanna read a book

Like last wee's top ten--things that'll make me read a book--this one is just as hard. The more I think about it, the more superficial it seems... but I can't help it.

For the sake of making it easier for me, I've chosen things that turn my interest for a book down both before I start it and while I'm reading it!

 The girl's life changes when she meets her love interest
   ↪  Don't feed me this bullshit. Do not. I hate when a girl's life goes completely crazy because her love interest walks into her life. It always feels like her life before the LI walked in wasn't there. I hate this.

 The main character "fights her attraction" to the love interest

   ↪  This is sort of going off the first thing. It usually happens in sequels, but in first books as well. It has me rolling my eyes so hard. 


 Bad pitches

   ↪  You lose me right away at "Red Queen meets..." or "Throne of Glass meets..." Like, sweetie. Honey. No thanks.

 Bad covers
   ↪  You know you're like this too. Not all covers are appealing.


 The forbidden love triangle

   ↪  Siiiiiigh. It's usually worse in sequels but a love triangle, or any love shape for that matter, is a nuisance. It makes the plot more romance driven, adds more romantic drama. I can do without that.


 Insta-love/attraction

   ↪  I've heard people defend this and hey, it's fine! Sometimes it works! But it doesn't work for me. Not just because I find it unbelievable, but rather because I don't see the chemistry. I have no idea how the relationship even formed.


 Animal cruelty

   ↪  This doesn't even need an explanation.


 Revenge in contemporaries

   ↪  I'm singling out contemporaries because in fantasy, no one's seeking revenge on their ex or something. Not that all contemporaries where revenge is a thing does that, but few do and there's literally nothing that makes that okay. I'd rather a lost princess seek revenge on some king.


 Same ol' fantasy plots

   ↪  You have a princess. Or a killer. There's an uprising. A rebellion. A whatever. It's the same thing over and over.


 Too heavily romance based

   ↪  I like having a romance in my books as much as the next person, but like I've said before, I hate it overtaking the plot. When there are hints at it, that's cruel teasing, but I'd rather have that than two characters constantly arguing about their relationship or whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment