29 May, 2017

{ARC Review} The Hundredth Queen by Emily R. King

The Hundredth Queen by Emily R. King
The Hundredth Queen series, book 1
Publishes June 1, 2017 by Skyscape
e-ARC provided by the publisher
Add it on GoodReads!
As an orphan ward of the Sisterhood, eighteen-year-old Kalinda is destined for nothing more than a life of seclusion and prayer. Plagued by fevers, she’s an unlikely candidate for even a servant’s position, let alone a courtesan or wife. Her sole dream is to continue living in peace in the Sisterhood’s mountain temple.

But a visit from the tyrant Rajah Tarek disrupts Kalinda’s life. Within hours, she is ripped from the comfort of her home, set on a desert trek, and ordered to fight for her place among the rajah’s ninety-nine wives and numerous courtesans. Her only solace comes in the company of her guard, the stoic but kind Captain Deven Naik.

Faced with the danger of a tournament to the death—and her growing affection for Deven—Kalinda has only one hope for escape, and it lies in an arcane, forbidden power buried within her.


In Emily R. King’s thrilling fantasy debut, an orphan girl blossoms into a warrior, summoning courage and confidence in her fearless quest to upend tradition, overthrow an empire, and reclaim her life as her own.

•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•


My Review

♫ ♫


Haha, awkward. How badly I wanted to like this book and how drastically it fell from my expectations.


Look, frankly, I was wary about this book. I was giving it the benefit of the doubt but I am always wary about authors writing about a culture such as this one. It's not that I think they didn't do their research well... it's that I just don't think they'll be able to tell this culture's story well. As it should be told, if that makes sense.


Anyway, despite that, I went into it still hoping I'd like it and sadly, I did not. The problem? At its heart, it's boring. It is just really, really boring. 

There were things happening, sure, but absolutely none of that captured my attention. From the get-go, it was dull. I didn't connect with nor like any of the characters; didn't feel excited or much of anything while reading the entire book. I actually had to push myself to keep reading this.

Part of this was because of the writing. It just wasn't my style. It felt vague and, like I've said, dull. The main character, Kalinda, felt like she had zero personality, while side characters didn't stand out or actually have much character to them. Basically, everyone felt generic, two-dimensional, and booooooooring.

Uh, what else... Oh, yes. There was a decent female friendship but it didn't last very long, which was disheartening. There were more interactions with mean girls rather than having women support one another, which just made everything worse, really. For the love of all things holy, there were fights, which were encouraged all of that, along with torture, so really. No thanks.

I didn't like the romance. At this point, I don't even care that it was insta-love because like most everything else about this book, there was nothing that made it interesting, gave it life, made me want these two characters together. Most of their interactions were cringe-worthy at best. While the guy, Deven, was decent, he didn't stand out.

Okay, anyway, I'm beginning to feel like a broken record. Overall: it was boring, nothing caught my interest, I didn't like it, and that's about it. 2 stars.

2 comments:

  1. Aww this is a shame!! Man! I was really looking forward to this one...damn beautiful cover love!
    @TeacherofYA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've hear lots of good things about this one, too! Maybe you'll enjoy it more than I did?

      Delete