27 May, 2017

{ARC Review} When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon

When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon
Standalone Novel
Publishes May 30, 2017 by Simon Pulse
e-ARC provided by Edelweiss
A laugh-out-loud, heartfelt YA romantic comedy, told in alternating perspectives, about two Indian-American teens whose parents have arranged for them to be married.

Dimple Shah has it all figured out. With graduation behind her, she’s more than ready for a break from her family, from Mamma’s inexplicable obsession with her finding the “Ideal Indian Husband.” Ugh. Dimple knows they must respect her principles on some level, though. If they truly believed she needed a husband right now, they wouldn’t have paid for her to attend a summer program for aspiring web developers…right?

Rishi Patel is a hopeless romantic. So when his parents tell him that his future wife will be attending the same summer program as him—wherein he’ll have to woo her—he’s totally on board. Because as silly as it sounds to most people in his life, Rishi wants to be arranged, believes in the power of tradition, stability, and being a part of something much bigger than himself.


The Shahs and Patels didn’t mean to start turning the wheels on this “suggested arrangement” so early in their children’s lives, but when they noticed them both gravitate toward the same summer program, they figured, Why not?

Dimple and Rishi may think they have each other figured out. But when opposites clash, love works hard to prove itself in the most unexpected ways.

•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•


My Review

♫ ♫ ♫ ♫

I won't lie; in the beginning, I didn't think I'd like this book. I had a problem with Dimple because I thought she went out of her way to be harsh to Rishi, who hadn't really done anything to warrant that type of treatment.

In any case, that changed eventually. When Dimple Met Rishi was a super fun and super adorable and I loved how eerily relatable it was. I'm not Indian, but I am South Asian like both main characters. While my culture isn't the same as theirs, there were some parallels. 

The reason I liked this book as much as I did was because of the parallels. You have to understand, it's hard to relate to mostly white teenagers in books, even those with parents that have such high expectations. I can't act out and rebel like they do, or just go my own way. So finding a book that came close to the issues I went through, it means a lot! It's so hard to come across anything remotely close to the events that resemble my life. There aren't really any words to this feeling--seeing echoes of you/your life in a book. Middle school me, who never thought she'd see someone with her culture, her skin, her name anywhere--she would have freaked at this.

Anyway, there are other things I enjoyed about this book, so moving on. First was Rishi, who I found so cute! How he dealt with Dimple was amazing, especially considering that it was a bit unfair how she treated him in the beginning. But as time went by and they got to know each other better, I liked how he stayed true to himself, a little bit silly and a go-with-the-flow kinda guy. He was also so cordial and sweet and never forced Dimple into anything. He helped her whenever he could and was ever the gentleman. He was also a very traditional guy so it was difficult for him to realise that it would be okay for him to pursue something he truly enjoyed instead of doing what his parents wanted him to do. Most families aren't supportive of this, especially when you want to major in something... less than practical. It was dealt with nicely in the book, being a fluffy contemporary and all, even though, I personally found it a bit unrealistic. (But I'm a pessimist so that's irrelevant.)

Like I mentioned earlier, I wasn't sure that I would like Dimple. She made it difficult in the end, but eventually, I understood it. I also felt that Rishi brought out a softer side to her and, like most of the other things in this book, I thought that Dimple was cute. She was still her headstrong and determined self and I admired that! But it was adorable to see her falling for Rishi and felt great to see her not give up in the slightest when going for her dreams.

I was so happy to see a female friendship in the book! Unfortunately, I was a bit disappointed with the direction it went it. I loved Celia and while I guess I understand it went that way... I still wish it had been handled differently. Despite that, the way it was resolved was endearing.

Also, can I just mention how the author included both one of my favourites movies, Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi? I love that film so, so much. When I got to the part where it was mentioned, I just had to go and youtube the song mentioned! Menon also included a band I like, Transviolet, and OH MY GOD. I nearly died when one of the characters liked them AND the author herself!

Overall, this was a lovely debut! If you're excited about this one, I think you'll really enjoy it! It's a perfect rom-com and full of cute and I can't wait for you guys to read it!

No comments:

Post a Comment