01 May, 2017

{DNF Review} The Wishing Heart by J.C. Welker

The Wishing Heart by J.C. Welkey
Standalone Novel
Publishes May 1, 2017 by Entangled Teen
e-ARC provided by publisher
With a book in her bag and a switchblade in her pocket, Rebel's been thieving her way through life while hoping for a cure to fix her ailing heart.

WBut when the bejeweled vase she just tried to hawk turns out to be a jinni's vessel, Rebel gets lost to her world and dragged within another. Now every magical being in the city wants the vase for himself.

Thrust into a game of cat and mouse in a world she never knew existed, Rebel must use her uncanny skills to find a way to free Anjeline the Wishmaker.

But wishes have consequences. And contracts. Anjeline's freedom could unravel a love like Rebel has never known, or it could come at the cost of Rebel's heart...

•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•


My Review

♫ ♫

Alas, I can't push myself to read this anymore. The beginning of the novel itself didn't hook me though I could tell the author was trying to make it very action packed. But I didn't like the main character and I didn't sympathise with her at all, nor the persona she's built around as herself, which makes her seem too good to be real.

The world itself confused me. I'm still not sure what this is--urban fantasy? Just fantasy? I know London is mentioned but there also seem to be fictional places mentioned, and magic, clearly, but I thought it was weird it wasn't really specified... it might've been too early, but oh well.

The writing isn't anything special. It failed to hook me, but that's just me--I'm too picky about writing. It's not bad but it's nothing to be impressed with. 

I was also told, rather after I began reading, that this was basically a white-washed retelling of Aladdin. That alone just makes me not want to continue. 

Overall rating: 2 stars. I wouldn't recommend this and I'm sure you could find something better to read.

2 comments:

  1. I have an eARC of this and I've been putting off reading it for whatever reason, but after reading this review I honestly might just skip it altogether. I'm sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy it, but I can see your points, especially where you said you couldn't even really tell if it was supposed to be an urban fantasy or just fantasy. I hope your next read is more enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kelly! Yeah, I wouldnt skip over it as well. There are better books out there!

      Delete