02 June, 2017

{ARC Review} The Fallen Kingdom by Elizabeth May

The Fallen Kingdom by Elizabeth May
The Falconer Trilogy, book 3
Publishes June 13, 2017 by Chronicle Books (US)
e-ARC provided by Netgalley
The long-awaited final book in the Falconer trilogy is an imaginative tour-de-force that will thrill fans of the series. 

Aileana Kameron, resurrected by ancient fae magic, returns to the world she once knew with no memory of her past and with dangerous powers she struggles to control. Desperate to break the curse that pits two factions of the fae against each other in a struggle that will decide the fate of the human and fae worlds, her only hope is hidden in an ancient book guarded by the legendary Morrigan, a faery of immense power and cruelty. 

To save the world and the people she loves, Aileana must learn to harness her dark new powers even as they are slowly destroying her. 

Packed with immersive detail, action, romance, and fae lore, and publishing simultaneously in the UK, The Fallen Kingdom brings the Falconer's story to an epic and unforgettable conclusion.

•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•


My Review

♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫

* * W A R N I N G * *
this review will contain spoilers for books 1 & 2


This is another series finale which is synonymous to another book that ripped my heart out multiple times and left me a sobbing mess. In the AM. Quiet sobs aren't the best kind, guys. No one likes a tear-soaked pillow.

This series is wild. It always has been and I expected nothing less from The Fallen Kingdom. Aileana is alive, again, because of the Cailleach's powers. She's faster, stronger, more with these powers, but as always, there's a catch. The more she uses them, the more out of control she becomes. But Aileana needs to learn how because the only way to save her friends, her world, is by finding the book that holds the key to breaking the curse Kiaran and Aithinne face as being the Unseelie and Seelie royalty--one of them has to kill the other in order to be the new Cailleach and restore balance to the world.

See, that's kind of tough when you're friends with one and in love with the other. And when neither of them really wants to kill the other. Yikes.

I loooooove May's writing. It's so enthralling and exciting and it's just pure perfection. The way she writes her characters makes them practically leap from the page. They're real, flawed, so full of personality and snarkiness that it's hard not to love them. 

Aithinne, like in The Vanishing Throne, ended up being my favourite character once again. She's a bit eccentric, but seeing her both as a vulnerable character who had been tortured for two thousand years as well as her old absentminded self. She's so funny and unique and my heart just goes out to her every single time she's faced with her demons. And she's just so good and seemingly pure, and I'm 100% sure she'll always be my cinnamon roll.

And Aileana! She's such a strong character throughout this series and gosh I love her. Fierce and mouthy and caring and taking no one's shit. Even though the odds were stacked against her, especially with what her powers were doing to her, she never stopped. She's selfless as she is dangerous. 

I love that May didn't shy away from killing. Because I get so tired of characters feeling remorse when they've killed people. Aileana has killed a lot of people and it just doesn't stop there. I liked how Aileana was when she got that dangerous.

There was a lack of Derrick in this book, which made me so sad! I loved Derrick and Aileana together--they're such great friends and seeing friendships like theirs always warms my heart. Even though he wasn't there, along with Catherine and Gavin, I still loved that they were still significant in Aileana's life. Catherine is one of Aileana's closest friends and while it would've been nice to see more of in the series, maybe as a fighting badass as well, I'm just thankful the author didn't sideline her or her brother. Best friends and childhood crushes don't usually survive the apocalypse. 

The roooooomance. Oh man. I love it. It's a mix of steamy, swoony, and super duper adorable. I love Kiaran and Aileana so much it actually kind of hurts when I think about them. A part of me just goes crazy when Kiaran calls her "Kam" and good god, I'm just a mess. They just work so well together. I wasn't entirely sold on the two of them in book 1 (which, I will admit, was a bit iffy for me), but May definitely wrote them super well. I love how they developed both as individual characters and together. 

This was a perfect ending, if you ask me. It was heartbreaking, it was funny, it was everything you could ask for. There was never a moment where things weren't interesting. There's action throughout and tons of comedic relief despite the seriousness of the situation they were in. I loved it and I will always recommend this series.

So! Overall, an unsurprising rating of 5 stars to this fabulous ending. Pick up this series!

No comments:

Post a Comment