08 June, 2017

{ARC Review} Song of the Current by Sarah Tolcser

Song of the Current by Sarah Tolcser
Song of the Current, book 1
Published June 6, 2017 by Bloomsbury Childrens Books
e-ARC provided by Netgalley
Caroline Oresteia is destined for the river. For generations, her family has been called by the river god, who has guided their wherries on countless voyages throughout the Riverlands. At seventeen, Caro has spent years listening to the water, ready to meet her fate. But the river god hasn’t spoken her name yet—and if he hasn’t by now, there’s a chance he never will.

Caro decides to take her future into her own hands when her father is arrested for refusing to transport a mysterious crate. By agreeing to deliver it in exchange for his release, Caro finds herself caught in a web of politics and lies, with dangerous pirates after the cargo—an arrogant courier with a secret—and without the river god to help her. With so much at stake, Caro must choose between the life she always wanted and the one she never could have imagined for herself.

From debut author Sarah Tolcser comes an immersive and romantic fantasy set along the waterways of a magical world with a headstrong heroine determined to make her mark.

•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•


My Review

♫ ♫ ♫  

Song of the Current was a book I didn't know I needed in my life until I read it. Considering it has been a while since I've read it, bear with me while I still try to comprehend my thoughts for it. 

The book itself was sort of a unique concept for me. I haven't come across another one like it. It's not necessarily a pirate book--the main character, Caroline, and her father carry cargo for other people, making the trip from one city to another. It's when her father is taken that Caro had to risk everything. Because the cargo she's carrying is dangerous and the people after it are more than willing to kill for it. 

I loved Caro. She was such an amazing character, full of snark and sarcasm. At the same time, though, she wasn't overly headstrong; she didn't make rash decisions. She did what she thought was right and didn't hesitate. She was remarkable and sigh a genuinely likeable character. That was the thing about her--she wasn't snobby or superior in any way. She loved gossiping with her cousins and trying in fancy dresses; loved the sea and didn't look down on people who couldn't bear it. I have so much respect for this girl and I can't wait to see her in the second book! 

The love interest was hilarious. I loved him to bits. He was such an idiot! So entitled to everything and I LOVED how Caro put him down each and every time. She wasn't dealing with his nonsense OR princely entitlement whatsoever and she made sure Markos knew that. 

It was hilarious how Markos didn't fit in on the little ship with Caro and Fee. He kept messing up everything and it was also Caro who had to fix it. And the fact that there was a bunch of banter throughout the story made it even better. The two HATED each other and to watch them slooooowly learn to work together was so much fun and so hilarious. 

There is a good female friendship in this book. One is with a frog, Fee, which may seem weird but oh. I loved Fee so much. She doesn't talk a lot but she's such a sweet and adorable character and I loved having her around. The other is Caro's cousin whose name I forgot. I loved the connection they had and I loved that Tolcser included her. Caro and her cousin are from two different worlds entirely and neither of them care about their differences; they get along super well together and GOSH. it makes me so emotional, all this lovely lack of girl hate. There's none of that nonsense. 

The plot itself is pretty fast paced. It didn't take long for everything to start moving in the beginning, and since I was already hooked, the rest of the book flew by for me. The writing was fun and engaging, each other characters well developed and interesting, and it just really made the book all the more enjoyable. 

I loved the concept of Caro's family being picked by the sea. For Caro, it was hard having to wait so long for her sign and her insecurity throughout the novel showed. But it never stopped her from doing what she had to do, no matter how huge or daunting the challenge was. 

Now, the romance! I loved it. So, SO much. Not only was it hate to love but ALL THAT BANTER. All those snippy remarks. It was so funny and it was just the CUTEST. I died like fifty times, probably more because they were just so damn cute. I don't want to spoil anything but there is an amazing scene where Markos in constantly asking for vocal consent. You never realise just how important that is until it's in a book, yknow? It made me love him even more! 

OVERALL, but this book. Order it if you haven't. Add it to your TBR ASAP (if you haven't already. And if you somehow missed this, first of all, HOW?? Second of all, get on it!). This isn't a fantasy you want to miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment