26 January, 2017

{Review} Velvet by Temple West

Velvet by Temple West
Velvet Trilogy, book 1
Published May 12, 2015 by Swoon Reads
First rule of dealing with hot vampire bodyguards? Don't fall in love.

After losing both her parents before age seventeen, aspiring designer Caitlin Holte feels like her whole world has been turned upside down, and that was before the terrifying encounter with a supernatural force. Then, she learns that her hot bad-boy neighbor, Adrian—who might have just saved her life—is actually a half-demon vampire.

Suddenly Caitlin is stuck with a vampire bodyguard who feels that the best way to protect her is to become her pretend boyfriend. Trouble is, Caitlin is starting to fall in love for real, while Adrian can never love a human. Caitlin trusts Adrian to keep her safe from his demon father, but will he be able to protect her heart?

-----

My Review

♫ ♫ ♫ 

Velvet has to be one of the best vampire books I've ever read. That's saying something because it was a vampire series--Cirque du Freak--that got me into reading. And with vampires seemingly dead the past few years, this was both refreshing and fun.

If I had to pick one word for this book, it would definitely be fun. I like to think Temple West had a lot of it while writing this book. Between the characters, the dialogue, and the interactions, there were a lot of golden moments in this book. It genuinely made me laugh and smile and more than once, it made me wish I knew Caitlin and Adrian.

Of course, that isn't to say there isn't more to the book--there definitely is. I think that's what makes West's debut so much better. She balances both the humour and the darkness of the novel exceptionally well.

Caitlin was an angry girl. An angry and sad girl when she moved to her aunt and uncle's farm in Stony Creek. Never once did I think her pain, her anger, her sadness, was over exaggerated. It was raw, it was real, and watching Caitlin slowly overcome those feelings felt amazing. You couldn't help but root for her.

In general, Caitlin felt so relatable. She was funny and smart and bad at math. She didn't do stupid things; wasn't unnecessarily headstrong. She had her whole world turned upside down and she dealt with it accordingly. Hell, she even took Adrian's admission of being a vampire surprisingly--and accurately--well. She never took anyone's shit and did what she thought was right. Suffice to say, I adored Cait. I loved her development, I loved her jokes, and I loved her relationship with Adrian.

Before I get to that, though, I really want to talk about Adrian. He was so cute! He totally came off as a bad boy in the beginning, and I was getting ready for the clich√© bad boy attitude, but boy was I surprised. He was such a gentleman and possibly the biggest nerd I've ever come across. He was so sweet, so kind, and gentle to Caitlin. He was always there to help her, never in a condescending manner either. He was patient, helping her both with homework and understanding everything vampire related. He grew throughout the novel as well, going from an antisocial mystery in their high school, to just another student who jokes around with people during lunch. 

Their relationship was one of the most realistic I've ever read about, which is hilarious for a vampire novel. They started off as friends and they grew into something more, and watching their relationship develop--all the nerdy jokes, Harry Potter references, and library shenanigans--was honestly the more adorable thing ever. They also had that whole fake relationship thing going on, which is one of my favourite tropes. Watching--well, er, reading about--them fall in love was amazing. Also swoony. They were very swoony.

I loved the friendships in this novel! Trish was an amazing friend and while she wasn't looped into everything Cait was going through--understandably--West never wrote her as someone to just push to the side. She made every side character--from Cait's extended family to the new friends she makes to Adrian's family--all important. She adds depth to them, makes them realistic. West truly excels with her characters.

Overall, I thought this novel was BRILLIANT. I can't believe I waited so long to read it! 4 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment